Lee Carpenter is a Maryland attorney whose practice focuses on estate planning and administration, trusts, and general business and corporate law. His estate-planning work includes a special emphasis on the unique needs of same-sex couples and other members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) community.
Mr. Carpenter works with clients at all asset levels to develop comprehensive estate plans using wills, powers of attorney, advance medical directives, real estate deeds, and other planning tools. Depending on the client’s individual needs, he may also prepare trust documents to help reduce estate taxes, provide for minor children, or care for people with special needs.
As an active member of the community himself, Mr. Carpenter has testified before the Maryland General Assembly in favor of pro-LGBT legislation. He is also a volunteer attorney for FreeState Justice, which provides free legal services to Maryland’s low-income LGBT residents.
Mr. Carpenter teaches Estates & Trusts at the University of Maryland Francis King Carey School of Law as an adjunct professor. He is a frequent author and lecturer on topics related to estate planning and LGBTQ law.
- U.S. Supreme Court
- University of Maryland School of Law (J.D., 2006)
- Dean’s Fellow
- Editor in Chief, Journal of Business & Technology Law
- William P. Cunningham Award for distinguished service to the School of Law
- Member, Phi Delta Phi Legal Honor Society
- Staff Member, The Business Lawyer, ABA Section of Business Law
- Research Assistant, Maryland Law Review
- University of Maryland – UMUC (B.A., cum laude, 2003)
Affiliations, Associations & Special Achievements
- Maryland State Bar Association
- Section Council, Section of Estate and Trust Law
- LGBT Bar Association
- Policy Committee, FreeState Justice
- Board of Directors
- Policy Committee
- Pro bono attorney
- Baltimore Community Foundation’s Professional Advisors Recognition Society
- Baltimore Estate Planning Council
- Baltimore Symphony Orchestra Planned Giving Advisory Council, Chair
- Planned Giving Advisory Council at the Walters Art Museum
- Episcopal Diocese of Maryland Planning Giving Task Force
Lee Carpenter is an Estates & Trusts attorney at Saul Ewing Arnstein & Lehr LLP and an Adjunct Professor at the University of Maryland Carey School of Law. This article is intended to provide general information about legal topics and should not be construed as legal advice. For qualified legal counsel contact Lee Carpenter at Lee.Carpenter@saul.com or 410.332.8626.