Lee Carpenter is a Maryland attorney whose practice focuses on estate planning and administration, trusts, and general business and corporate law. His estate-planning work includes a special emphasis on the unique needs of same-sex couples and other members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) community.
Mr. Carpenter works with clients at all asset levels to develop comprehensive estate plans using wills, powers of attorney, advance medical directives, real estate deeds, and other planning tools. Depending on the client’s individual needs, he may also prepare trust documents to help reduce estate taxes, provide for minor children, or care for people with special needs.
As an active member of the community himself, Mr. Carpenter has testified before the Maryland General Assembly in favor of pro-LGBT legislation . He is also a volunteer attorney for the FreeState Justice, which provides free legal services to Maryland’s low-income LGBT residents.
- 2006, Maryland
- University of Maryland School of Law (J.D., 2006)
- Editor in Chief, Journal of Business & Technology Law (2005-2006)
- University of Maryland – UMUC (B.A., cum laude, 2003)
Affiliations, Associations & Special Achievements
- Maryland Bar Association, Section of Estate and Trust Law
- LGBT Bar Association of Maryland
- Baltimore Estate Planning Council
- Planned Giving Advisory Council at the Walters Art Museum
- Baltimore Community Foundation’s Professional Advisors Recognition Society
- Board Member, Homeland Association, Baltimore, Maryland
- Dean’s Fellow, University of Maryland School of Law (2006-2008)
- Judicial Intern to the Hon. Lynne A. Battaglia, Court of Appeals of Maryland (Summer 2004)
- Frequent author and lecturer on topics related to estate planning and LGBT law
This information is intended to provide general information about legal topics and should not be construed as legal advice. For qualified legal counsel on this topic contact attorney Lee Carpenter at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 410.576.4729